[time-nuts] 1 PPS from Z3801A Does it need conditioning.

Paul A. Cianciolo paulc at snet.net
Wed Sep 21 13:44:56 UTC 2011

Hello ,

I have a z3801 and trying to use the 1 PPS from the rear panel for the start
input of an HP5370B
This approach seems to work fine until a load is either added or turned off
on the same AC circuit or a nearby circuit.

At which point the hp5370 takes a hit and a trace that had been running ok
drops back to  1x10 -3 or ...

When using 10 Mhz  or 100 Khz  as the start input this does not happen.

The connector on the back of the z3801 is in a format Pseudo ECL and I don't
think it uses a ground as a reference.
Is there a simple one transistor buffer that I can use, build it right
inside db 25 shell?

Or maybe there is a different approach?

I am using a shielded coax to transport the 1 PPS  but at the 5370 of course
it is grounded but not at the z3801a

Thank you for the help

Paul A. Cianciolo
Our business computer network is  powered exclusively by solar and wind
Converting Photons to Electrons for over 20 years