[time-nuts] Any thoughts on best rubidium?

Robert Deliën Robert at delien.nl
Sun Sep 25 09:42:33 UTC 2011

> Do you know how the HP/Agilent 4395A stacks up as a SA?  I really like
> the true RMS power detection and the 1 Hz RBW (not video).
>
> <http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/product.jspx?id=1000000864:epsg:pro&pageMode=OV&pid=1000000864:epsg:pro&lc=eng&ct=PRODUCT&cc=US&pselect=SR.PM-Search%20Results.Overview>

Vector Network Analysers like this one often don't offer full Spectrum Analyzer functionality. They're difficult to operate too. If you don't really need the specialized functionality, I would look for something else. But if one is offered to you at a reasonable price…

Take a look at the Rohde & Schwarz FSEB20, FSEB30, FSEA20 and FSEA30. Those offer both true RMS power detection (even though a good power meter is always a better instrument to measure power) and a 1 Hz RBW, where the latter is achieved combining a 10Hz bandwidth with FFT.

I just warmed up my FSIQ (which is basically an FSEA with IQ tracking generator and a couple of other options) and made a 1Hz RBW plot of the calibration signal, to attach it to this post, but I don't have a floppy drive in my PC :-( Talking about trailing-edge technology.