[time-nuts] Happy 10th birthday, time-nuts

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Sep 27 07:00:49 UTC 2011

Hello all,

Today, September 27, 2011 is the tenth anniversary of time-nuts!
See: http://www.leapsecond.com/time-nuts.htm#history

It has been an amazing decade. Many of the original members
are still active on the list. Our home labs have grown. We have
made many new friends. We've learned a great deal, produced
thousands of excellent posts, hundreds of great web pages, and
pushed amateur time and frequency performance to the limit.
I am stunned what a unmanaged group of people with a highly
specific common interest can do.

Over the next few months we will be thinking hard about what
time-nuts should look like in the coming decade. There have
been a number of times in the past year or two where the email
list format has been stretched beyond the limit. We have even
lost some good members because of the decline in SNR.

If there is a way to solve these problems for the future we want
to consider it. I won't bias you with some proposals we've come
up with so far. I want to hear your ideas.

Communication technology has moved very fast. Although email
continues to thrive, the past 10 years has brought web forums,
blogs, wikis, facebook, linkedin, twitter, google+ to the masses.
Smartphones and iPads are replacing workstations and laptops.

We don't need to be leading edge here, we don't even need to
make any changes right away, but we should at least consider
how the list might evolve now that we have 1100 members and
times have changed.

We solicit your private input. What changes, if any, would
you like to see in the list. Send me or John email:
    Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
    John Ackermann jra at febo.com

Again, congratulations to you all. This list has exceeded all my
imagination. It will only get better over the next decade.

Thanks,
/tvb

Please do not hit reply to this OT posting. Send us private email.