[time-nuts] GPS Interference Question

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Fri Sep 30 13:44:23 UTC 2011

Please don't start a political discussion, I just have a SIMPLE TECHNICAL QUESTION that I'm hoping someone can answer (and I don't
think it was discussed in the past).

In all the stuff I've glanced over about L2, they talk about better filtering for GPS modules to eliminate the interference issue.
Likewise they talk about potential replacement of existing hardware and such because of poor filtering that overlaps into other
frequencies...

My question is...

To filter out the L2 signal, would an actual GPS receiver have to be replaced / modified?

Or would a more simple and cheaper alternative be to get a new antenna (with fancy filtering) to replace my existing roof-top
antenna and expect all my old equipment to be happy? Is that technically possible or does it have to be on the receiver?

Or even something in-line where I wouldn't have to replace either my antenna or receivers... It would just look like an attenuator
that you stick somewhere along the cable?

Okay... so three part question, nothing more, nothing less...