[time-nuts] Efratom M3100

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 1 22:56:19 UTC 2012

Bert,

On 04/01/2012 07:50 PM, EWKehren at aol.com wrote:
> In the past I have asked if some one has any info of the Efratom M3100. I
> have carefully dissected the unit and checked functionality. It sweeps but
> does  not lock. Lamp signal is strong  60 MHz and 5.xx all work properly and
> can  be seen on a spectrum analyzer The problem is in the loop and there is
> not  enough signal into the phase detector. Trying to follow the detector
> output is  challenging because lack of information and packaging density.
> Typical loop  frequency in a M100 is 127/254 in this case I see 85/160. I would
> expect in a  military application they would go up not down for vibration
> purposes. Tracing  the circuits is also made more difficult because of the use
> of mil parts and mil  nomenclature. I have most cross correlated and I am
> down to one PMI part   38510/11201BCA. Does any one have any info, such a
> nice unit, would like to make  it work.

OK, does all the parts have operational power?
Does the modulation work?
Maybe it needs phase-trimming for best detection gain?

Can you hook up a scope so you have modulation sweep on X and detector
response at Y?

You should be able to probe around. I had some part success with a
similar rubidium, until I had reversed it to such a degree that I knew
that it was a power-supply in the thick-film module that had failed.

Cheers,
Magnus