[time-nuts] 60Hz More or Less

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Mon Apr 2 00:21:34 UTC 2012

Ed,

Your old signal generator frequency is regulated by stable components.

The power grid frequency cannot be regulated because it is distributed
over thousands of generators. Mathematical models are not stable, as
people switch loads on and off. Regulation is done by human dispatchers
calling generation plants and requesting more or less power from the
variable power generators. Most boilers are fixed loaded at their most
efficient operating point.

It is quite amazing that the entire system usually averages out to 60
alternations per second per day.

Sorry I can't look at your results, but I don't have time to play with
operating systems that are constantly being "improved". I tried Ubuntu
and went back to Microsoft.

Then again, I'm leery of things that show up on April First.

Bill Hawkins