[time-nuts] Fail on HP5065A PSU repair

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Apr 3 00:14:11 UTC 2012

On 04/03/2012 01:36 AM, ed breya wrote:
> Magnus, is that the same little transformer that I sent you a while
> back? If so, did you add the PTC current limiter that I included? That
> should have saved it from failure of the driver transistors. I think
> there's a problem with that circuit, so I don't think you should take a
> chance on any more transformers without thoroughly checking the rest of
> the parts.

Yes. You are quite right. *mumble*

I think that the other parts of that board is to blame. The board has
taken severely damage due to overheating.

One of the improvements in the later is actually to do the main
rectified diodes on a bridge mounted onto the frame, providing cooling,
something the board doesn't get much in the given location.

I can be so eager to get things working again. Need to work on my
patience. Learn from my mistakes...

Cheers,
Magnus