[time-nuts] Antenna for t-bolt

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 01:14:02 UTC 2012

I have a Symetricom 58532A which I bought on eBay for $50 with shipping.
That is probably the best antenna you can get, and it won't break the bank.
I also have a Trimble Bullet, the antenna that was designed to go with the
Tunderbolt. It is a very good antenna also, but harder to find, and it has
lower gain than the 58532A, so at my location (under the roof in Florida),
at the end of 50 feet of good quality 75 ohm coax, the Symetricom unit
works better.
I also have several pucks, including very inexpensive Chinese-made ones and
a very nice Trimble mag-mount puck that is the best of all the pucks I have
(in terms of performance and also mechanical design) and which I got for
$15 on eBay also. They all work, but the Trimble puck is the one I take if
I need to go mobile.
Most the pucks I have receive better than the Trimble Bullet. They are
probably not as good as far as multipath rejection for low angle signals,
but they are more sensitive and I see more satellites with them.

Didier KO4BB