[time-nuts] NTP jitter with Linux

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Thu Apr 5 11:31:44 UTC 2012

On 4/5/2012 2:51 AM, David J Taylor wrote:

> Mike, have you tried FreeBSD instead? Does it show the same problems?

I have a couple of Soekris Net 4501s running FreeBSD and NTP. They don't
have much jitter, but they're a very different architecture. The machine
with the jitter is my home "do all" machine - router, firewall,
file/email/print/web/ntp server, etc.

It's certainly not critical to get rid of the jitter, it's a time-nuts
thing. It bothers me. I noticed that when my backup process ran, NTP
jitter dropped very significantly. I'm sure it's related in some way to
interrupt latency - the first thing the PPS driver does when a PPS
interrupt comes in is to save a nanotimestamp.

Dennis Ferguson mentioned the OS idle loop. So, I added "no-hlt" to the
kernel boot line. This did improve things quite a bit. All else the
same, it reduces jitter to the 3-4 us range - better than the 20 us
without, but not as good as the 1-2 when I simply load up the processor.