[time-nuts] Best location for a GPS antenna...?

Joseph M Gwinn gwinn at raytheon.com
Thu Apr 12 23:39:14 UTC 2012

I think I know why.  I worked on such computers, and they were very
sensitive to ESD.  If you touched the cabinet during the winter, when it's
very dry, the spark would be enough to crash the computer, although
permanent damage was rare.  The problem was that the computers were
under-designed back then.  Now days, all such electronics has to pass a
variety of ESD and power surge tests.  Not that they will necessarily
survive a full surge.  For this, one buys a large surge arrester and
installs it on the power panel.

Joe Gwinn