[time-nuts] Best location for a GPS antenna...?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 01:07:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Do you have a reference for 100' distant strikes routinely destroying
> receivers?
>
> Bob

The ARRL's "QST" magazine Aug -> Nov 1986 is very good and many people here
would have access to it.
They talk about EMP from both atomic weapons and lightening.  The EMP from
atomic explosions is as you'd yes worse.  If can destroy most electronics
up to 450 miles away in the worse cast (an explosion in the ionosphere.)

Lightening has vary wide band energy in its EMP and the farther you are
away from it the lower the frequency.  So a very close strike might have
much energy at UHF a strike 50 feet away might be only up to HF range.   So
it couples to different length conductors depending on the distance.    My
reference to 100 feet means you'd need some length on the feed line and
data cables.

There is a good publication from some one at a university in Florida having
to do with electronics on boats. I can't find it now.