[time-nuts] Looking for CA3130E IC...

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 15 12:47:20 UTC 2012

On 4/15/12 3:46 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:11:14 -0500
> hoag at hiwaay.net wrote:
>
>> CA3130EZ is the lead-free version of the part.  Looks like good stock
>> (both Newark and Avnet have thousands on the shelf), and should be
>> usable unless you're sending it into space or something.
>
> Why is the chip case being lead free a problem for space?
> I thought the major issue was that the solder is lead free and
> showes all kinds of nasty behaviour?
>
> 			Attila Kinali

Tin whiskers

Rather than tin-lead solder dip, it's typically pure tin on the leads,
and that's evil.  You can take the part and redip the leads, but that's
a pain.

Yeah, the solder requires better temperature control, but most stuff for
space is done with automated processes and dialing in the temperature
profiles for arbitrary solder isn't that hard.