[time-nuts] Chinese Scopes (was: Re: LORAN-C at MIT)

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Mon Apr 16 17:59:16 UTC 2012

> At eevblog.com forum Chinese scopes are a daily discussion for over 3
> years.
>
> In summary, in the <= 100 MHz level they are very cost effective but there
> are better and worse.  Rigol, Owon and Hantek are on par while Atten and
> Uni-T are consistently rated less.  The criteria for rating them are
> measurement accuracy and precision, UI, construction quality and tech
> support.

Measurement accuracy is a ruse, IMO. I don't care if a 'scope is
"accurate". I want the waveform to be a faithful representation of the
electrical behaviour of the circuit, free oif sampling artifacts and
aliasing.

If I want to accurately measure a voltage, I'll use a differential
comparator or DVM. Anything timing, an appropriately gated counter.

Some years ago Tektronix had a digital camera package with RS-170 output
and some aardvaark frame grab board for a PC and a SW package. It was
designed to do waveform measurement.

I would actually like to know why many seem to feel that a 500 MHz analog
'scope is not "good enough" for what you really do in your lab?

The more I hear about 40 GSps or whatever 'scopes, the more I'm convinced
it's like comparing car engines or top speed. So, I have a car that'll do
160 MPH and yours will do 172? So what? Can you use it? No.

YMMV,

-John