[time-nuts] Chinese Scopes (was: Re: LORAN-C at MIT)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Apr 16 22:01:28 UTC 2012

> I would actually like to know why many seem to feel that a 500 MHz analog
> 'scope is not "good enough" for what you really do in your lab?

> Older 'scopes didn't NEED to re-allocate memory, or use "peak" modes to
> avoid sampling artifacts.

I can think of  3 reasons why I like digital scopes:

  It holds the picture for a long time.  This is great for looking at
slow/PPS signals and things that happen only occasionally (logic glitches,
software bugs).

  You can see the signal before the trigger.

  You can get the data out to a PC.

Any one of those could be enough to convince me to switch to digital.  With
all 3, it's a no-brainer.  YMMV.

I'm sure I'll get burned by an aliasing glitch one of these days.  In the
meantime, I'll get lots of good pictures.

If you want a really good example of aliasing, try this one:
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/Rigol/scope-2ms.png
That sine wave is10 MHz.  :)

Since this is time-nuts, you can back compute the frequency of the internal
clock in the scope.