[time-nuts] Opamp Phase noise: OPA653 additional measurements

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Apr 17 10:42:46 UTC 2012

There are many ways to achieve a reasonably low phase noise floor when
measuring the additive phase noise of amplifiers etc:

1) Use an interferometer to null the carrier and amplify the
interferometer output being careful to ensure that the residual carrier
at the output of the amplifier isnt sufficient to induce significant
flicker phase noise. Enrico Rubiola has published many papers on this
technique.
Since the test source phase noise may be much higher than that of the
amplifier under test especially at low offsets, the carrier suppression
has to be quite high to ensure that the residual oscillator phase noise
at the doesnt exceed that added by the amplifier under test.

2) Use duplicate systems to amplify and measure the phase noise together
with cross correlation.

3) Use a low noise mixer with the LO and RF inputs in phase quadrature.
     Low pass filter the IF output then amplify and digitise the
baseband signal with a high resolution ADC

OR

4) Use a technique akin to that used in the TSC5120A (avoids the need
for achieving accurate quadrature between the LO and RF inputs to a mixer).
For a brief overview read the TSC5120A manual and the various associated
patents.

A combination of techniques is usually necessary to achieve ultra low
instrument noise floors.

The measurement setup is somewhat adhoc and it should be feasible to
reduce the instrument phase noise floor to around -200dBc/Hz or so with
additional refinements.

Bruce