[time-nuts] Chinese Scopes

Marvin E. Gozum marvin.gozum at jefferson.edu
Wed Apr 18 11:29:00 UTC 2012

XY quality:

Many DSO have had slow wfms/sec or update rates.
Its a reason Agilent touts its new fast rates in their new scopes.
Here's a test XY mode "youscope" test app on an analog, Agilent
Infiniivison and Rigol 1052e for comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxlCoKN4W7c

Mpts on timebase:
More memory is always good but it may not be so on low end scopes as
it eats refresh rates.

used Tek scope:
Old scopes are always a gamble, some odds are worse than others.  If
you can risk worse case and have to repair it, and can do so, have
the space for it, it likely will do better than any low end Chinese scope.

In the end, I think the Chinese label scopes raise the bar on new
entry level DSO, opposed to the existing leaders.  But one can't
expect too much from them.  Only Rigol provides 1 GHz bandwidth to
date, just at the low end of the top tier models by Agilent, LeCroy and Tek.

Will they catch up soon?  Dunno, I presume manufacturers have wised
up on IP theft, and won't be giving it away as in past 20 years, to
Chinese industry.

http://readingjimwilliams.blogspot.com/

>At 01:51 PM 4/16/2012, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:
>
> >There is a rumor that one also needs an analog scope.
>
>Where analog scopes generally win is in X-Y mode, most digitals I've
>seen suck at that.
>

>At 06:44 PM 4/16/2012, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:
>>
>>OK. IMO, there is another, perhas a more important, issue....  memory depth.

To bring this full circle, a friend bought a very clean, working 465 for
$50 at MIT.