[time-nuts] Missing parts of threads

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Apr 18 14:02:32 UTC 2012

 From the Sysadmin:

The server that febo.com runs on is getting a little long in the tooth,
and the amount of mail it processes never gets smaller -- remember that
time-nuts now has nearly 1200 members, and then think of the amount of
traffic the list sees every day.  And, the machine does some stuff other
than handling time-nuts, too. :-)

As a result, sometimes outgoing mail does get queued up and there is a
bit of delay in processing.  In addition, the Internet has lots of
opportunities for delays which result in the mail system having to retry
delivery; the algorithm for that includes increasing intervals between
retries.  However, I'm not aware of any mail actually being dropped.

Plans are to upgrade the server sometime in the next few months, but
unfortunately it's more than just moving hard disk from one machine to
another, so I need to find time both to plan for, and to actually
implement, the migration.

John
----