Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Wed Apr 18 15:41:11 UTC 2012

 I've found it easier to just ship items rather than have to deal with the inconsistency and hassle of TSA security.  You never know what will give a problem, even in checked luggage.

That is one reason I am driving to Dayton this year (a 12 hour trip) rather than flying commercial.  Besides, with the 1 hour drive to the airport, 2 hour before flight arrival there, 1.5 hour flight, 2.5 hour layover, 45 minute flight, 30 minutes to get rental car it's not all that much more time!

Peter

On 04/18/12, Attila Kinali<attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:31:21 -0700
Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Example: the round pointed school scissors in my daughter's backpack
> getting on the plane in Rome? They were willing to let her take them,
> but we said, nope, just throw them away, because next stop is Zurich,
> and we KNOW that they won't make it past the inspection there. I got
> tagged in Zurich before for having my toothpaste tube in a gallon bag,
> instead of the required "no more than 1 liter" bag.

Yes, Zürich has become a pain. I remember, not too long ago, we
went to the airport not earlier than half an hour before take off.
And still had plenty of time. Nowadays, i calculate at least 2 hours
before boarding. And often have to hurry along the way.
It's gotten to the point where taking the train is faster, if you
travel to within western europe. Even as far as Paris or Berlin.

But.. that's becoming way too OT.

> So, carrying that oscilloscope on? If the inspector's fiance(e) just
> ran off with a EE/CS major the night before, you're doomed. However, in
> general, I've not had many problems with obvious commercially
> manufactured gear. And oddly, not much problem with random piles of
> protoboards and boxes with wires and cables stuffed into a backpack, as
> long as there were no large "blobs" in the X-ray that weren't obviously
> batteries on visual inspection. (Friends of mine say that trying to
> carry on a small lead acid battery that looks like a brick is often a
> challenge..especially if you've wrapped it in tape to hold it to the
> circuit board.

Ok. Good to know. I might consider flying over to the US for a short
shopping tour then... Anyone willing to shelter a time-nut for a weekend?
:-)

 Attila Kinali

 -- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin