[time-nuts] Question about precise frequency / phase measurement

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Sat Apr 21 02:11:55 UTC 2012

On 2012/04/20 13:44, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:
> For a high end example showing external influences causing small freq variation, see the swinging OSC test  at
> http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/tpll/swing.gif

Neat!  Is there a page explaining a bit more about it?

I was summarizing the Hafele-Keating experiment to my brother the other day --
just bullshitting, really, 'cause I barely know what's going on here myself --
so it occurs to me to wonder.  Acceleration is probably the cause, but a
mechanical effect in the oscillator, "something tightened in cockpit"?  Surely
not a relativistic effect.  Not at 18 inches.  (This is where we figure out that
I grasp the concepts, but can't actually do the problems.)