[time-nuts] Sub mm measurements with gps timing antennas?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Apr 26 00:45:54 UTC 2012

Hi Attila,

But.. is the CSAC not on the ITAR list? I would expect it to  be,
as even some precision OCXO and a lot of MCXO  are.

This is the beauty, they are not ITAR or HAZMAT  restricted! They received
approvals.
We just published an article  about the CSAC GPSDO products we offer in the
Microwave Journal,  April issue, and this is listed there as one of the key
advantages of  CSAC's.
Oh.. the CSAC is  that low power? I thought they are in the 1W region.
Good to  know...

Yes, CSAC itself rated at 115mW typical. They have a power down mode  with
auto-correct of the TCXO that gets to less than 30mW on average. CSAC's are
game changers, and no one has anything even remotely  comparable.

I'm not quite sure about this. It would work if we had only to  deal with
one or two of devices, but with the numbers we need now, the work  would
probably cost more than a reel (i actually don't know what a reel  costs,
u-blox has not replied to my request for quotation i placed 3 weeks  ago).

A reel will cost some real $$$ if you can get it, more than removing  the
shields from the units, even if you are doing say 100 units.. With a proper
heat gun, it takes only about 20 seconds to get the shield off, without any
damage to the unit itself.

The real question is, would a perfect 26MHz reference give you any GPS
position performance improvement or not, that is what would be interesting to
test..

bye,
Said