[time-nuts] PICTIC II ready-made?

cfo xnews3 at luna.dyndns.dk
Fri Apr 27 14:08:54 UTC 2012

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 06:21:10 -0700, Jim Lux wrote:

>> It uses a 100% standard avr-gcc toolchain as "backend" , and just
>> creates the commandline call for using that.
>> So avr-gcc , avr-as , avr-ar , avr-objcopy etc. are used "behind the
>> curtains".
>
> Fascinating..
>
> Are avr-* also java?  Or are there just binary versions that run on all
> platforms?
avr-* is standard gcc (with some AVR specific patches) , at least until
you use 4.7.x where many of the AVR specific patches are included in
mainstream gcc.

avr-gcc should build on all platforms that can build a "normal gcc"
For Win32 i'd recommend WinAVR even though it's a bit old (but it
supports the arduino (ATmega328 chip) 100%)

> I must say that the IDE hides it very well.. (which I guess means they
> did a good job...  Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the Arduino,
> although I would like a way to set breakpoints and look at variables for
> debugging... but hey, printf works)

I hate the Arduino IDE .... :-)
It hides to much , so i use makefiles and mostly CodeBlocks.
But afaik there is a switch in the Arduino 1.0 IDE to enable the
gcc/build output so you can see what happens behind the curtain.

CFO