[time-nuts] PICTIC II ready-made?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Apr 27 14:30:11 UTC 2012

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 23:30:45 -0500
David <davidwhess at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you add a second lower current source or sink, then you can get
> away with a LM311 class comparator and one fast timer channel in the
> microcontroller.  The input pulse width charges the capacitor and the
> timer counts how long it takes to slowly discharge.  Since the
> conversion is integrating instead of sampling, it has better noise
> immunity.

Yes, a dual slope time strecher would work too. I'm not sure, but
i would guess this aproach would be a lot more limited by the noise
and device variations.

Usually a timing input of an uC runs with a counter in the region
of 100MHz max, ie +/-5ns resolution. To get to 50ps, one would need
to stretch it by a factor of 100 at least, better 1000 to get some
headroom for calibration in software. This means that the currents
have to have a factor of 1000 in between. Using a charge current
somewhere between 10 to 100mA would yield to a discharge current
between 10 to 100uA. Keeping the two current sources stabile
enough for the ratio to stay stable would be already quite an
acheivment. Also keeping the leakage currents at bay would be
quite some feat...

In contrast to that, a 16bit ADC is dirty cheap and a 24bits are readily
available. I haven't had a look at it yet, but if the capacitive charge
redistribution ADCs simplifiy the circuitry that much as Bruce has said, then
you could get "easily" 16-18bit resolution. Combine that with a 100MHz
reference clock, then you get a nominal resolution 150-40fs(!).
Acheiving 10ps resolution should be then a piece of cake and 1ps possible.
(yes, i know that 10ps is not that easy...)

			Attila Kinali

PS: please correct me if i made a wrong assumption somewhere

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin