[time-nuts] GPS, USGS Early Earthquake Warning

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Apr 28 20:22:00 UTC 2012

Brooke,

In the papers they were getting some results with even 1 Hz sampling,
but, as expected, 10 Hz was better. That's probably sufficient for seismic
waves; 100 Hz is overkill. See Figure 5 of the Larson paper I for a nice
example of the AC vs. DC coupling that you mentioned.

I also agree with Jim's earlier comment; for earthquake detection it
seems an cheap accelerometer is more than adequate. One doesn't
need the expense of dual frequency carrier phase gps receivers just
to detect a local shake.

These days, there are always many cell sites where there are many
people; and each site already has GPS timing, battery backup, and
a fast connection to a central office; so it's the perfect place to add
a sensitive accelerometer. You could just call it an security intrusion
monitor and use it for earthquake detection as a free side effect.

/tvb