[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt GPS Antenna

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 17:13:37 UTC 2012

Just about anything will work.   The most important thing, more important
than the type of antenna is LOCATION.   If you have a clear view of the sky
and can mount the antenna on a 3/4" galvanized iron pipe mast then the
in-expensive "pointy" 26dB ant. works well (180518378555)     These will
mount on an iron pipe flange.  Some flanges even have the holes in the
right location and then you lead the coax down the center of the pipe and
everything is 100% weather proof.   You should ground the pipe and maybe
think about lightening too.

I like "N" type connectors for outdoors.  They are water tight and resist
corrosion for decades especially if the connector is inside a waterproof
pipe.  I glued some automotive gasket material to the pipe flange and used
stainless bolts.  My experience is that such a setup will last "forever".
 I think the "N" type is worth it for a permanent outdoor installation even
if it does require a more expensive coax cable.

That said, even a cheap patch antenna works.  The t-bolt cares more about
what it can see than about gain.  Also good to be away from reflections
that can cause multi path.  That is why I like the pipe mast.  It place the
antenna is free air.  You can strap it to a vent pipe on the roof.

I like the pointy top design too.  Keeps birds and bird poop off the
radome.  Snow is not a problem here but if it is at your location the
pointy top helps with that too.

More gain might be nice if you are looking through a window, trees or
whatever.   But gain is not a substitute for location.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Ken Kubick <kenkubick at hotmail.com> wrote:

> 180518378555
>  Hi,  Time-Nuts guys I just baught a Trimble Thunderbolt on ebay.  I am in
> need of an antenna,  there are so many on ebay I am not sure which one to
> get. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction?
>
> Thankyou
>
> Ken Kubick
>
> Kenkubick at hotmail.com

Chris Albertson