[time-nuts] Cross-Correlation Results

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Aug 4 20:47:24 UTC 2012

Magnus inspired me to try my own cross-correlation experiment with the
TimePod today.  I used two fairly normal OCXO frequency standards as the
reference, and a Wenzel 5 MHz ULN as the device under test.

By doing single-reference measurements of each OCXO versus the ULN, I
was able to plot their noise.  Since the ULN has performance near the
noise floor of the TimePod, I could then test how well the correlation
works to allow measurements below the noise of either reference.

Conclusion: it works *really* well.  Plots and a little write-up are at:
http://www.febo.com/pages/cross-correlation/index.html

John