[time-nuts] web presentation of data

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Aug 7 18:06:11 UTC 2012

albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
> So the web server is inside an Arduino?  Yes can't run GNUplot there.   Why
> not have the Arduino produce either Postscript or PDF?  It is very easy to
> draw a graph in Postscript.

That's a very good suggestion.

I think the key idea is that the programmer is making some high level
decisions that greatly simplify making the graph.  Once you do that, you
don't need a complicated graphing program like gnuplot.  An Arduino is smart
enough to do simple things like scaling once you have the environment setup.

Now that you remind me, I actually did that 20+ years ago.  I'll fish out the
details if anybody wants to go down that rathole.  The old/early Postscript
books are very good.

We were collecting loadcell data.  A Mac-SE is probably about as smart as an
Arduino.  Each data file had a few header lines then a bunch of numbers.  To
print things, I just cat-ed a postscript program with one or more data files
and sent it to the printer.  The postscript code was smart enough to read and
process the data files.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.