[time-nuts] 60Hz extra PPS: got one

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Fri Aug 10 16:17:20 UTC 2012

Hal, do you have a resonant 60 Hz filter in the pickoff? The waveform
in Aug-09-a1 certainly had multiple zero crossings.

Remote-controlled tap changers can do things like that.

If I got the UTC offset right, that happened at about 2 PM local time,
when a big transformer tap could have been changed for more A/C load.

I expect you'd rather do things in software, but the mechanical
solution is to couple a synchronous motor to a flywheel marked with
60 Hz lines for photocell pickup. A precision 33 1/3 rpm turntable
with strobe markings would work very well.

Bill Hawkins