[time-nuts] new member with questions NTP, PRS, GPS, ocxo

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 18 05:49:43 UTC 2012

Hi,
New guy here, seeking Oracular pronouncements for my time/frequency quest!
[]
Anyone ever had a good buying experience for this type of equipent from
China?
[]
So what I am trying to come up with now for home/shack is:
- An NTP server for our LAN
[]
Advice much appreciated!
73
Frank
KJ4OLL

Frank,

I chose to separate NTP and frequency standards.  For frequency, I happened
upon a Rapco 1904M on eBay (thanks to someone else), and I have been
reasonably pleased with that, although getting a good enough antenna has
been an issue:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Rapco-1804M-notes.html

For NTP, Like Chris I have an Intel Atom PC, but mine is fed from a Garmin
GPS 18 LVC puck, mounted on the sloping roof (indoors it is not sensitive
enough).  This box is running FreeBSD 8.1, and is my most accurate NTP box:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm

More recently I have purchased a Garmin GPS 18x LVC which /is/ sensitive
enough for indoor use (I'm on the top floor of a 2 storey building) and I
run that into a Windows PC (Win-7/32, PC Stamsund).  I'm also using a couple
of Sure Electronics GPS evaluation boards (bought from China, no problems)
with a very simple modification to make the PPS signal available to the
RS-232 connector, and these are connected to a Win-7/64 PC Alta and a Win-XP
PC Feenix:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm

The performance I get on the various systems, and their directly connected
and Wi-Fi connected clients is here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

and the server/client configuration is shown here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp.html#Configuration

Just some thoughts for you!

73,
David GM8ARV