[time-nuts] new member with questions NTP, PRS, GPS, ocxo

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 18 16:20:49 UTC 2012

From: Chris Albertson
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:55 PM
[]
Power is a bigger issue.  It really does cost a bit to keep some
machines owered up 24x7 and NTP needs to run all the time.  It takes
NTP hours to stabilize and you want to wait 24 hours after to measure
performance.
[]
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California

I see this "hours" or "many hours" figure quoted, and yet here NTP is
sufficiently accurate within a few minutes.  I'm thinking within 200
microseconds, on a Windows system fed with a PPS signal on the serial port,
which is good enough for me, but not perhaps for others.  To get within,
say, ~10 microseconds on a FreeBSD system, then within an hour or so seems
to be enough.  Agreed that running 24 x 7 is the ideal state for a server,
and that a fanless Intel Atom system is an excellent way to reduce cost.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk