[time-nuts] L1 GPS timing signal(s) into local time on computer(s)

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 17:16:59 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM, <lists at lazygranch.com> wrote:

> If you are using a desktop, I'd suggest putting in a serial card. The
> Netmos chip based cards work on windows and linux, though your should do an
> internet search on the particular card before you buy.
>
> I have the prolific based converter. It didn't work with my Starloc. (The
> netmos worked fine with Lady Heather.) I just got a Gearmo branded FTDI
> based usb to serial. I haven't tried it on the Starloc, but it works well
> on other

I just worked out the cost of power.  If you, like me are paying $0.21/KHW
a new Atom based PC will pay for itself in less then 6 months .   It is
astonishing when you actually compute the cost to run a PC 24x7 for one
year.  A normal desktop or notebook PC is not so expensive to run because
it spends  most time either powered off or in "sleep" mode.  But an NTP
server needs to stay active 24x7.    A standard desktop PC can burn $400 or
more in electric cost per year.  A notebook PC is almost as bad (Notice the
100+ watt rating on the notebook's power brick)   The new Atom boards are
about 6W and costs only $100 at Amazon.com

But, yes, I agree stuffing a PCI serial card in a desktop PC can get you
the serial port you need.  They work well.  Just remember that the desktop
will have to stay powered up 24x7 for years.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California