[time-nuts] Need usb time interval time for portable bullet chronograph

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Tue Aug 28 13:55:44 UTC 2012

On 8/27/2012 6:15 PM, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:
> I got an old Meinberg GPS, with an analogue integrating single-channel
> receiver, and put at a friends appartment. Still works great, after me
> convincing it about a new location. It has two time-tagging inputs, so
> you can get UTC time-stamps with 100 ns resolution of the serial port.
>
> With a good trigger and then a serial adapter... you got some cool
> time-stamping good enough for the purpose I guess.:)
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus
At 3000fps, even a one foot screen spacing would give good results
with 100nS! On top of that you'd know the exact time of day, and
location!

We built some time measurement hardware at work with many channels
running at 5nS resolution. Since a lot of us are into shooting sports,
we did the math then. We basically figured figured that 5nS would be
overkill for a chronograph. Fun, but overkill. :)

Dan