[time-nuts] Using a frequency synthesizer replacement for motherboard oscillator

Sarah White kuzetsa at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 00:10:08 UTC 2012

On 11/30/2012 6:30 PM, Eric Garner wrote:
> the actual RTC on modern (Intel based) PC's is driven from a standard
> 32,768 Hz crystal attached to the PCH. some of them are in incredibly small
> packages now instead of the old tuning fork-in-a-can ones. peeling off the
> load caps and crystal from the board would allow you plenty of spaces to
> tack down a lead from an external synthesizer.

Yeah, the one on the (Soekis) example was pretty small. So far none of
of the replies have indicated that anyone on here has experience beyond
an embedded system.

Mostly I started this thread because there have been a few with people
discussing implementing NTP on embedded microcontrollers, arduino, etc.
and I was thinking of doing it from the other side (turning a nice-ish
server into a rock-solid timekeeper)

Thanks so far everyone. Really impressed that I already managed to get
4x replies so quickly :)