[time-nuts] GPSDO recovery from holdover

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Dec 1 02:49:58 UTC 2012

Hi

A few more possibilities:

1) Slip the clock by one cycle per second rather than 10 at once.
2) Take the pps off of a 100 MHz source sync'd to the 10 MHz and slip by less than 100 ns per step
3) Take the pps off of a DDS and fine tune the slip however slowly you might wish.

In practice, the approach is "get back to +/- 100 ns as soon as you can". The system majority of specs care about being at the right time, and not so much how you get there. There are a few specs that prefer a frequency slew to bring the pps in from microseconds of error, but not many.

Bob