[time-nuts] GPSDO Alternatives

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 15:26:46 UTC 2012

Al
I like the truetime products. In general easy to understand and last a long
time.
But there never seemed to be that many. Sure they were used in broadcasting
and maybe power. But the others like the 3801 and tbolt were used in telco
and mobile apps so there were 10,000s turned out and thats why we get them
for cheap. I simply never see the truetime dc60 or gps units around. Though
I have my stock of dc468 sat clocks. :-) Working. I hacked a goes sat
replacement 3-4 years ago.
That said some of the older gps technology is a bit slippery on exactly how
good they are.
So for perhaps amateur purposes they are totally fine but when you start
comparing to a Tbolt or 3801 various behaviors apear.
Odetics GPStars as an example slip cycles on purpose. Its a mode you can
set and by default is how they are set.
For what they were intended for they are perfect. But at least 1 X10 poorer
then other devices. Its not at all broken. It was a general time piece for
radio networks. Give or take 500 ms.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL