[time-nuts] Time security musing - attacking the clock itself

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 02:31:01 UTC 2012

Is it really off topic?   Actually I think it is very boring to talk about
people comparing one 10MHz reference to some other 10MHz refeerence without
ever putting either of them to practical use.

But the question of if it is even possable to spoof time is certainly
related to time keeping, has wide application.

SO I will ask  Can I fool you into thinking you are on the moon or on Mars.
 Maybe I place photos of a moonscape over your windows and put a delay
device on your phone line.   Ok, you say "no" because you'd remember that
you live on earth.

OK can I fool you into thinking it is Sunday?  Maybe not because you know
the time at lest to within a few hours and you would ingore my no matter
how many times I say "it's Sunday"

Could I fool you into thinking is 1 millisecond later than it really is?
Not if you happen to own five Rb clocks and a backup power supply.

My argument is that you can NOT spoof anything that can be verified by
independent means.  And notice I did not talk about computers or
cryptographics or passwords.   None of that matters if the question is
simply if something can be spoofed.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

> Hi
>
> It's not really clear that people noticed this ….Give it a bump.
>
> Bob
>
> On Dec 4, 2012, at 2:33 AM, Tom Van Baak <tvb at LeapSecond.com> wrote:
>

> > Please. May we call this thread finished. It's way off topic.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > /tvb

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California