[time-nuts] GPSDO Alternatives

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Dec 7 02:23:14 UTC 2012

Hi

Here's another way to look at this:

An hourglass full of sand (with some attention) and a cesium standard are both ways to answer the question "what time is it?". Let's say you need a new $40,000 tube replacement in your 5371 and management asks "what else can we do?".  An hour glass  is indeed a "something else we can do". They both deliver an answer to the time of day question. Without defining what you actually *need* to do, they are both valid approaches.

The problem comes when you look at the $40,000 repair charge and decide that building an hour glass is a lot cheaper. While that's true, it's far from the whole story. One way to quickly work some of this out is a simple swap proposition. Would anybody on the list trade their (working) cesium for my (working) hourglass? I'll pay shipping….

Bob