[time-nuts] GPSDO Alternatives

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 7 14:06:11 UTC 2012

On 12/6/12 1:56 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> The single best thing about a TBolt is Lady Heather.
>
> Consider how many years it's taken to get it to where it is today. Consider
> how many people have worked extensively on it. It's a wonderful thing to
> have available.
>
> Could you make a homebrew gizmo look "just like a TBolt"? Sure you could. It
> might well take you forever to do all the reverse engineering, validation,
> and testing, but it can be done. I'd guess it would take less time to
> re-write a version of LH from scratch....

Of course, the process of experimenting and trying to duplicate the
Tbolt is fairly educational.  It touches a lot of interesting areas in
RF design and metrology, as well as software algorithms.  One might do
it for the same reason that someone builds a fusor in their garage.
There are easier ways to get neutrons, but building a fusor is a nice
combination of learning about high vacuum, high voltage, nuclear physics
and metrology, etc.

Both are a heck of a lot cheaper than building and flying a CubeSat, for
instance.