[time-nuts] GPS DO Alternatives

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 01:56:27 UTC 2012

So the goal then is automate the process, not to make it better.  I figure
once you have an easy-to-modify and easy-to-replicate design up and running
then with many people able to experiment the performance will improve.

You can almost not count the cost of the Arduino.  This is a self contained
part that can be used in many projects.  Same with a 12VDC power supply.
 Lots of people like to play with these and have them already.

So,....  as for performance, let's just say for not that it only has to
work as well as one could do by hand and eye and a 'scope.  Let's say 10E-8

What if I use a flip flop.  The PPS from the GPS connects to the "set"
input of the FF and also to the Arduino interrupt.   The output of the OCXO
goes to the reset pin of the same FF.

The interrupt handler reads the value of the FF.  It will be either 1 or 0
depending if the phase of the OCXO leads or lags the phase of the PPS.  The
software will try to keep the FF average value at exactly 0.500

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California