[time-nuts] FE-5680A OSMT connector / RS232

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Mon Dec 10 07:27:13 UTC 2012

EIA-232 trip points are positive so that you can cheat and drive them
with logic, so it is not unusual to find 232 that doesn't go negative.
This is OK for short distances. This should not be called 232, but often
they state 232 "compatible." You can take a logic gate and make it
handle +/-15V with clamping diodes and a resistor divider, so some
devices don't even use 232 chips.

Looking at the datasheet, it appears 232 is an option.