[time-nuts] FE-5680A OSMT connector / RS232

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Mon Dec 10 08:20:18 UTC 2012

The trip point is specd to be between -3 to +3, which is why 5V works,
especially since the trip point is usually positive. I would set it
around 1.5V. The transmitters are required to swing +/- 5V.

I'm not sure the 232 "allowed" lower voltage as much as all we had to
work with were charge pumps, first off a 5V rail and later 3V. Basically
the voltage was dropped closer to the spec limit to ease the design,
even if some non-compliant parts wouldn't work on the lower voltages.