[time-nuts] Sir Patrick Moore

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon Dec 10 12:10:19 UTC 2012

On 10 December 2012 09:24, David C. Partridge
<david.partridge at perdrix.co.uk> wrote:
> Related to time-nuttery as astonomical observation was used for time-keeping until C20.
>
> Sir Patrick Moore, the great amateur astonomer died yesterday at the age of 89.

Although considered an amateur, I assume he got paid for presenting
The Sky At Night. According to Wikipediat at least,  he was an author
of over 70 books on astronomy. So perhaps amateur is not quite the
right word.

> A gentleman, astronomer, and true scholar.  His death was predicatable as he's been very ill for a long time, but nonetheless a great loss.

I think the death of us is all predictable!  But I sorry to hear of
his passing away. I suspect there are a good few people who have
astronomy PhDs, which would not have studied astronomy if it was not
for Patrick Moore. He certainly insprired me to buy a telescope (4.5"
reflector), but I never studied the subject professionally.

> Regards,
> David Partridge

Dave