[time-nuts] Real YIG data was: YIG oscillator drift question

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Tue Dec 11 13:52:08 UTC 2012

Antonio,

when I read the question I went into my cellar to return with an AVANTEK 2-4
GHz YIG that I had once moved out of a defective spectrum analyzer. I used
an analogue regulated power supply for the oscillator power and my HP6632 in
constant current mode (this YIG NEEDS a tuning current) to supply a tuning
current of app. 125 mA. Before starting the measurements I let it warm up
for a day or so. Then I recorded temperature with a PT100 measured with A
HP3457A in four wire mode and frequency with my U6200A counter (referenced
to my Z3805) using my EZGPIB utility.

You can download the results from my download page

http://ulrich-bangert.de/html/downloads.html

Look at the bottom for "YIG Data". Note that the .zip contains a
configuration file for my PLOTTER utility so that looking at the data is a
snap with it. Just take care that the "Overide binary data & Graphic
settings" in the File menu is disabled and "Open" the file.

While it is surely not comparable to even the worst Xtal it is not as bad as
has been reported here from Bob.

73s and Best regards
Ulrich Bangert, DF6JB