[time-nuts] Inexpensive modular gps with 1pps

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 06:41:41 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> > Big enough that Synergy & Garmin have pricing for anywhere from 1 to
>  1000
> > units
>
> I don't know of any GPS units with PPS that are both low cost and no
> soldering.
>
> There are several low cost units that come in a nice small package.  But
> you
> can't just plug them into your PC.  You have to provide power and add a
> connector.  There are quite a few more units if you don't need a nice
> package.
>
> There are several no-soldering packages.  I haven't seen one that is low
> cost.
>

> There are many low cost GPS devices that use USB without any soldering.
>  They
> don't have PPS.

Thank you, nice summary.

One of my problems is that I am in Singapore.  Soldering is not an issue in
itself, but I cannot just order transistors and other small components
online.

You mention "low cost units which require you to add a power connector,
etc".  Could you recommend any that can be bought online?  With RS-232,
please?

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane