[time-nuts] Z3805A cooling requirements?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Dec 17 01:40:20 UTC 2012

On 12/17/2012 02:21 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> When you blow on a TCXO you are setting up variable airflow. A fan produces a constant airflow. A variable flow gives you a variable temperature. A constant flow keeps things pretty uniform.
>
> Environnemental chambers have pretty massive airflow. TCXO's and OCXO's do quite well inside them.

The trouble with airflows over a TCXO or OCXO compared to still air, is
that you provide a better connectivity to the ambient air and it's
variations. Hence, I get to monitor the AC in the building or testlab
that way. Just tossing very mild isolation and it is almost quiet in
comparison. A good quality environmental chamber doesn't have drastic
"puffs" of heat-up, where as lesser onces do that. When testing TCXOs I
learned more about the environment chamber in use than on the TCXO itself...

Again, your mileage WILL vary.

Oh, I do know some folks that are looking into the effect of turbulence
of forced air on crystal "noise". I could find some flaws in their line
of reasoning.

Cheers,
Magnus