[time-nuts] MesoAmerican calendars, Solstice, etc.

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Mon Dec 17 20:03:47 UTC 2012

And it's on my birthday, too. So should I open my presents at breakfast
instead of dinnertime/ Will I get cake???
:-)
merry Christmas to all of you...
DonL

Jim Lux
> You knew it would be coming..
>
> A discussion over lunch brought up the question of precisely WHEN this
> Maya calendar rollover/civilization ending event would occur.  It's not
> enough to just say "dec 21st".. Does the event occur at the beginning of
> the day, end of the day, in which local time scale.. Local news media
> and the blogosphere are woefully ignorant of such basic questions which
> time-nuts learn to ask at their mother's knee.
>
> I did find a reference that it's tied to the Solstice, or which we have
> a fairly precise instant:  1112UTC  (although I've seen other numbers
> floating around).  So, basically, I could not have to worry about going
> into work on Friday, because all the excitement will be over here in the
> Pacific Time zone(but I will have to get up real early to see it happen)
>
> But just like other time scales, how did those mesoAmericans reconcile
> their 360 day cycle to 365.25... day intervals between solstices?
>
> I've been rummaging through my ION CD of time and celestial nav papers,
> but didn't find anything at first on the whole issue (plenty on other
> astronomically derived scales).
>
> Anybody have any decent links to go hunting for?
>
> 5000 years is plenty long for significant precession of the equninoxes,
> for instance.. Maybe those Maya astronomers did a bang up job measuring,
> but hey, they probably didn't account for those higher order effects.

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road