[time-nuts] Comparing PPS from 2 GPS units

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Dec 18 07:21:17 UTC 2012

>>    Cond. Material  	Magnet Wire Helix
>> (What is "magnet wire", and what does "helix" mean and how does it effect
>> coax?)

> Magnet wire is enamelled wire (usually copper).

I'm familiar with that usage, but I don't know why it's interesting in the
context of coax.

I think the key idea is that the insulation is thin so you can get lots of
turns/inch in a transformer.

I don't understand what a "helix" is in coax, or rather I don't appreciate
the numbers.  I'd guess that the "center conductor" is constructed as a helix
and that increases the inductance/meter by a whole lot, or something like
that.  But isn't there a sqrt in there?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.