[time-nuts] OT: Mayans

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 20 01:34:44 UTC 2012

On 12/19/12 4:12 PM, Sanjeev Gupta wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Tom Knox <actast at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Does anyone have ideas on how I can trigger my camera to capture the "end
>> of the world" roll over on my clocks.
>>

> I need to know something even more basic:  Did the Mayans correct for leap
> seconds?

No.. as explained in a mail from Kevin Birth a few days ago (he actually
knows this stuff, being an anthropologist)..

The calendar just counts "days", and isn't synchronized to instantaneous
astronomical events like solstices and such.

I see a similarity between TAI and the Maya long count.. constant rate,
monotonically increasing.

And a similar similarity between civil time and the Maya solar calendar
(the Haab), both of which are synchronized to particular events (solar
noon, solstices, respectively).

> As I seem to be the only one around without access to a 10GHz Rb/Cs/Ub
> clock, I am not asking for time-nut accuracy.  But leap seconds _have_
> built up, so at least that (as an amateur) I should correct for.
>
> Please help.  It is not like you have plans for the weekend.

Keep calm, carry on..