[time-nuts] Z3805A cooling requirements?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Dec 20 23:12:33 UTC 2012

Magnus Danielson said the following on 12/20/2012 05:29 PM:
> On 12/20/2012 10:19 PM, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
>> TimeLab can talk directly to the 512x boxes via ethernet. I've also
>> written some Linux scripts to capture both phase data and graphs from
>> the 5120; happy to share with anyone who'd like them (but TimeLab is a
>> whole lot easier in most cases).
>
> If I recall correctly, you can run continuous logging from 512x boxes
> with TimeLab, so it should be a good approach to get more out from your
> instrument.

Yes, it will log the phase data stream and create the same set of plots
from it as with other data.  I think John has mentioned some issues
keeping the connection open over long collection intervals, but I
haven't seen any issues.

However, in my Perl code I ended up increasing the TCP timeout to a
quite large value -- the data seems to be sent with varying delay and
sometimes pauses for a while, presumably while the system is occupied
doing something else.  A long timeout keeps things running during the
pauses, and no data seems to be missed in the process.

John