[time-nuts] Z3805A cooling requirements?

Volker Esper ailer2 at t-online.de
Sat Dec 22 20:34:09 UTC 2012

 > I wonder if the forced convection is to strong. You don't want to
 > hit the limits of the oven control-range. Wonder if this is a
 > long-term effect and if even small adjustment to the setup can
 > remove the bursts of noise you are seeing.

Now, some hours after switching off the fan, I'm discovering such noise
bursts even without ventilation :-( That means, I can't be sure, that
the change in deviation for small tau is caused by the ventilation. May
be it's just within the natural variation.

I have to state, that this experiment can't proof the assumtion that a
constant air flow affects the deviation curves of an HP 10811
significantly. Except for the humps in the greater tau ranges - what
averages out. In fact, if there is any effect, the effect is small.

What could be worked on further: Not comparing the OCXO with the
internal GPS signal (which is quite noisy in short term) but with an
external oscillator. I've got an HP 10544 (similar to the 10811), which
could be the reference for external time interval measurement.

I'll need some more days...

Volker