[time-nuts] Z3805A cooling requirements?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Dec 24 17:47:35 UTC 2012

Hi Mark,

> I wouldn't place much emphasis on the Adev data for Tau's of less than 80 seconds.

Actually, just the opposite; the ADEV at short tau is very close to correct.

> I've collected some ADEV data as well but don't entirely trust it yet.

Right, it's the ADEV for longer tau that is completely misleading. Let me explain.

Realize that Allan deviation numbers are statistics; essentially they predict how constant the future frequency might be, based on a sampling of measured frequency in the past. For a statistic like this to be relevant you want to have at least 3, but more likely tens to hundreds of past measurements in order to have confidence in the prediction.

Plotting many Allan deviation statistics, each with a different sampling interval, on a log-log plot gives even more information; the slope of the line reveals noise types.

Now, there is no problem observing transient phenomenon like temperature changes (or phase jumps or frequency jumps or loose cables or pets jumping onto the bench). They show up dramatically in phase or frequency strip plots. You can see how quickly the effect occurs. You can measure the magnitude of the effect. You can measure how long it takes to recover. This is all useful: you get numbers like tempco or thermal Q. But using standard deviation or RMS or Allan deviation, or any other *statistic* on this data is not the right thing to do -- because you have only a sample of one.

On the other hand, if you encounter tens or hundreds of these transients over hours or days or months, then it is perfectly valid to use statistics like standard or Allan deviation to describe the probability of the transient occurring; the magnitude of the effect, etc. Now you have enough events to offer a future prediction based on many samples in the past.

Does this make sense? In your case "removing air flow" is only one event.

I know it's easy to make ADEV/MDEV plots using Plotter or Timelab but that doesn't mean it's appropriate in every case. When your data has an accidental data glitch or an intentional transient, it's best not to use statistics to describe that one event.

/tvb